STRIPER PLATE NOW AVAILABLE
The Striped Bass Conservation (SC) license plate joins the three other MET environmental license plates (Right Whale Tail, Brook Trout, and Blackstone Valley Mill) as a specialty plate exclusively for the benefit of the environment.
To purchase your Striped Bass specialty plate, visit your local Registry of Motor Vehicles or log on to mass.gov/RMV and select ”Online Service Center”, then “Order Special/Vanity Plates”.
- The initial registration fee for your new plate is: $60
- The special plate fee is: $40
($28 is tax-deductible; $12 is to manufacture the plate)
- Total first-time cost of your Environmental Specialty Plates: $100
- Renewal Fee: $100 every 2 years ($40 is tax-deductible)
The Mass Environmental Trust (MET) and the Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF) developed the Striped Bass Conservation plate to support new programs to research, protect, and preserve striped bass populations, ensuring that future generations of anglers have the opportunity to experience the unmatched thrill of fishing for this iconic species.
The purpose of the plate is to help fund projects and activities for the conservation of saltwater fish, with a focus on striped bass, for ecosystem sustainability, habitat conservation, and angler education.
Examples of projects include:
- Studies of striped bass populations, stock structure, movements and local ecology
- Studies of angler practices to improve hook-and-release survival
- Habitat improvements, including efforts to enhance diadromous fish (e.g., river herring, eels) passage for better forage for striped bass
- Development and distribution of programs to educate anglers on the importance and means of improving the conservation of marine fisheries resources
All proceeds from the purchase of Striped Bass Conservation plates will be administered by MET. The MET will depend on the expertise of a select panel to establish priorities and recommend projects for funding.
This new grant program will have unique expert oversite from:
- Academic researchers
- Division of Marine Fisheries
- Environmental and advocacy programs
- Massachusetts Environmental Trust
- Recreational and commercial striped bass fisherman
- Scientific experts knowledgeable about striped bass populations and ecology
To learn more about the RMV's Specialty Plate Program please visit:https://www.mass.gov/how-to/order-a-special-license-plate-to-support-a-favorite-cause